Our High-Incidence Special Education program provides education majors with the fundamentals for working with students who have mild to moderate intellectual disabilities, emotional disturbances, high functioning autism spectrum disorders, ADD/ADHD, and learning disabilities. Endorsements are offered for 1) grades kindergarten through sixth grade or 2) grades six through twelve or 3) preschool through grade twelve. Our graduates can be found working in the special education or general education classroom. Classes meet mostly online, creating flexibility for full time students and classroom teachers pursing continuing education. KICA is accredited by the Kansas State Department of Education. Endorsement Advantages:
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts the demand for Special Education teachers will grow 17% from 2009-2018.
- Teachers with the endorsement are prepared to serve the diverse needs of ALL students in both general and special education.
- Because additional preparation is required for teaching children who have special needs teachers are more effective.
- Additional financial aid is available to offset the total cost of education.
Advantages of Our Program:
- Online coursework provides flexibility.
- Undergraduate students can add the endorsement at no additional cost.
- Program emphasizes hands-on experience working with students who have mild to moderate disabilities.
- We are accredited by the Kansas Department of Education.
The KICA Conceptual Framework serves as the foundation which our High-Incidence Special Education program is built. The framework steps are shown below.
KNOW: the high-incidence special education professional educator demonstrates knowledge techniques to meet the high-incidence special education needs of children and youth.
Invest: the high-incidence special education professional educator invests in lifelong learning and ethical principles.
COMMUNICATE: the high-incidence special education professional educator can communicate and collaborate effectively to meet the needs of high-incidence special education students.
A PPLY: the high-incidence special education professional educator can apply research-based concepts, principles, and skills necessary to be an effective teacher of students with high-incidence special education needs.
Please watch this video to learn more about our program: click here.